Wednesday, 11 February 2009

How did I function without it?

I took delivery of a lovely new iphone 2 weeks ago and I am extremely pleased with the purchase. Having resisted resisted for a long time I finally caved.
I have to confess to previously being a bit of a luddite when it came to phones - in the 'I only need it to make calls' camp. But I think this was probably due not in small part to my finding that phones generally weren't as good as I would hope at doing these other things. iphone has changed that...
I love the simplicity of the iphone - it is so intuitive to use. There is absolutely no need for an instruction book, and my mother, who is not the most technically minded of individuals and quite short-sighted managed to work it with ease when I showed it to her on a recent visit (in fact she has already said she wants to get one when her current O2 contract comes up for renewal).
The keyboard is amazingly easy to type on despite being small and entirely on the touch screen. The software goes a step beyond predictive text by accounting for fat fingers completely mistyping too.
The internet experience is very user friendly and you can easily view full size web pages by zooming around with the touch controls. Much better than any previous internet on phone experiences I have had. Email is a joy too.

The wealth of apps are great also. In just a couple of weeks I have come across some real gems including:

bbcreader (aggregation of bbc website news that you can read when offline e.g. on the tube)
2 across (crosswords - choose from loads of sources to download)
tweetie (great twitter client)
evernote (add notes, pictures, clips from websites that you want to remember and access from anywhere)
shazam (hear a tune you like? point the iphone at the speaker and this app will identify if for you)
units (conversions for almost anything - distance, time, temperature, currency...)
ocarina (has to be tried to be believed - use your phone as a wind instrument!)
labyrinth (great use of the inbuilt accelerometers)

... and of course the complete works of Shakespeare has been downloaded to read in those dull moments...

Sure, there are bad points - the battery life is awful, camera is not great (but then I am a bit of a photography snow anyway and would probably not be satisfied by any phone camera), you can't download bbc iplayer videos (but they can be streamed), and there is currently no support for flash. But despite all of these - I love it! It's even tempting me to try making my next home laptop a mac...

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree - the iPhone was a total breath of fresh air when I finally caved in and got mine...

    ReplyDelete