Sunday, 1 March 2009

Kinetica Art Fair

Spent a couple of hours today at the Kinetica Art Fair (http://www.kinetica-artfair.com). This was definitely the exhibition of the year so far for me. Held in a remarkable huge underground hanger below Westminster University, Kinetica is where art, technology and engineering collide. As the name suggests, all of the artworks are concerned with movement.

There was a huge variety of works here from the sublime to the ridiculous; beautiful light installations, motorised sculptures, gently moving mobiles, 3-D videos, interactive exhibits, unique art produced based on the RIFD chip in your Oyster card and even pole-dancing robots. Far too much to write about at length, but here are some of the things that stood out for me:

Beacon by Chris O'Shea is a light installation that tracks your movement within it and really gets you involved. You can't help but get into the midst of the light field and experiment with what happens.

Adrian Baynes'
Wall of Eyes is extremely disconcerting as 225 mannequin eyes follow your movement.

Light Wave by Tom Wilkinson is simple yet beautiful; a sine-wave rippling gently back and forth making the glass fingers from which it is made appear like a liquid.

My favourite piece in the exhibition in that I could see it having a place in my living room, was 'Turquoise Squares' by Ivan Black. A beautiful piece of engineering with mesmerising movement produced by the slightest air movement. I chatted to the artist who showed me that it was held together with magnets meaning there is almost no friction. A fantastic piece and I was very tempted to put my hand in my pocket, but unfortunately I think the asking price of £1200 is a little more that I can justify spending.

A fantastic exhibition and a great way to spend a Sunday. Really inspiring stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment